1. I started with armature mesh. It can be found in most craft stores with the polymer clay supplies. I molded the mesh onto my head, shaping it to cover my scalp.
2. I used fiberfill to add contour and shape to the mesh.
3. I took plaster-impregnated gauze strips (also available in the poly clay aisle) and covered both the mesh and fiberfill, and let that dry for 48 hrs.
4. After experimenting with various materials, I found some 3/8″ mesh tubing. I used 3 packs (60 yds), and I cut the tubing into 12″ – 18″ lengths.
5. I fed a black pipe cleaner (chenille stem) into each tube and bent and twisted into a serpentine shape.
6. I used a bamboo skewer to poke a hole in the plaster, inserted about ½” of the stem into the headpiece, and hot-glued it down.
7. I glued a ½” pompom in the open end of each tube.
8. I glued 2 size 8 beads on each pompom for eyes.
9. I painted the plaster black and applied three coats of varnish.
10. I glued felt to the inside to make it more comfortable, and keep plaster crumbs out of my hair.